Saturday, April 20, 2013

Peeling hard boiled eggs

Hard boiled eggs can be the most frustrating job in the kitchen. There are times I won't make deviled eggs just so I won't have to peel them. Most of my eggs look like they've gone through a meat grinder. I have tried everything from using old eggs, letting eggs get to room temperature, adding vinegar, boiling then immediately plunging into ice cold water, and I still have those few eggs that are just hard to peel. I read a post a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as I find the source, I will add the link. Hold your hat. Steam the eggs. Fresh or old, doesn't matter. I know, I did both yesterday. Each and every egg peeled and my eggs look edible.

Place eggs in a steam basket. Place lid on pan. Steam for 12-15 minutes. You can then allow them to cool naturally, but I was in a hurry, so I plunged them into some ice water for 5 minutes. The shells just slipped off. I had a dozen eggs peeled in less than 5 minutes.

I know there are dozens of methods. But knowing how quick this worked, I will use this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment