Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dehydrating Potatoes

I am on a mission. I am teaching myself to be more sufficient in making and processing food that is not loaded with harmful chemicals. I am slowly but surely eliminating processed foods out of diets. Not to say, I occasionally use boxed foods.
A little while back, my sister-in-law gave me about 20 lbs of potatoes. Red and white. Not sure how long these last, I started to dehydrate them. I was also worried about them turning black. They didn't~so, yea me! Below is the process I used.
First peel and rinse potatoes. Thinly (paper thin) slice potatoes. I used my Pampered Chef mandoline. Soak thin cut slices in water. You will see a bunch of starch in the water. At this point, put a nice sized pot of water on to boil. I sprinkle a little salt in the water. After all your potatoes have been sliced and rinsed, add sliced potatoes to the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes. Immediately remove from boiling water and put in a bowl of ice water. This stops the cooking process.
Once all of your potatoes are cooked and cooled, place potatoes on a dish towel and pat dry. I usually dab with another dish towel.
Layer potatoes on a food dehydrator and allow to dry for 24 hours. Place in a tightly sealed glass container.
You can also put your dehydrated potatoes in a food processor and process until powder form. These would be great for mashed potatoes or as a soup thickener.



No comments:

Post a Comment