Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Savannah/Charleston vacation with UCTD

My husband and I just recently celebrated our 25th anniversary by going to Savannah, Ga. and Charleston, SC. We were married in Charleston. It was our first trip together, without kids in 19 years. We had a marvelous  time. I honestly think I could live in Savannah. I am a sucker for historical cities or towns. This town breathes history in every turn. This was also my first big trip since being diagnosed with UCTD. I think I did amazingly well. I only had two issues. The second day we were in Savannah, I came up  with a bad case of hives on both my legs. We thought it was from using bug spray. As it turns out, it was from walking in the humidity and heat for 14 hours. Mind you, I took several breaks and made sure to keep out of the direct sun as much as possible. It took about 3 days before the hives were gone enough that I could wear shorts again. On our last day of vacation, which was in Charleston, we went for a 6 mile walk throughout the city. We were trying to find a place called "The Fuel." This was a diner  visited by Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Our daughter wanted us to stop there and get something to eat. After walking the 3 miles to get there, I was starting to feel the familiar itch on both legs. The hives were back. Needless to say, it wasn't from bug spray, but from all the uv rays and exercise on my legs. Well, we got plenty of pictures to show our kiddo. Then we had a 3 mile walk back. To end the day, we probably walked a total of 10 miles. I am happy to say, I only had 1 migraine kick in too. Thankfully it was on the last night there. As I look back on Charleston, I was saddened to see how commercialized it is becoming. It was such a peaceful place to live 25 years ago. I know times change, but too much change can just ruin a beautiful place. Now that we've seen 2 more of my list of places to see, on to the next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment