Friday, August 10, 2012

Bread and butter pickles

I thought I'd lost this recipe. This recipe was my grandmother Kauffman's. I have limited memories of my grandmother. She passed away in the 70's, when I was 11 years old. I am lucky enough to have copies of her recipes, in her handwriting. I also have a recipe book of hers that dates back to 1912. As I sit here and reminice about her life and recipes, it is time for me to try more of her recipes. This is my go-to recipe for pickles. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do~

5 lbs onions, sliced
1 peck of pickles...a peck amounts to 2 gallons whole, about 20 pickles. I had to look this up~
salt
3 quarts of vinegar
1 quart of water
4 cups of sugar
4 tsp. of tumeric
1/2 cup of mustard seed
1/2 cup whole cloves, I use 1/4 cup

Slice cucumbers and salt, let stand for 4 hours to drain off juices. Don't skip this step. They are not as good if you do. Mix liquid ingredients and heat until it is very hot. This next step is up to you on how you process the cukes. I like to mix the onions and pickles together and place in my canning jars uncooked. Pour  in hot liquid, seal jars and water bath. Or you can add pickles and onions to liquid. I think they break down too fast and become "squishy." Fill jars and water bath. Enjoy~!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment