Sunday, June 24, 2012

UCTD and swimming

To all my UCTD family, I hope you are having a wonderful summer! This summer started out great. I have been able to do so much more outside than I have for the past 2 summers. I'm giving credit to my Plaquenil. For now that is the only medicine I take for my UCTD. The migraines are another post, for another day. This summer I have been able to get my garden started and keep up with it. I have ever-growing strawberry plants and I'm still getting nice ones every other day. I have very few weeds creeping into the garden. The biggest annoyance for me are the Black-eyed Susans. I put them too close to my raised garden. I had planned to use them as a border around the garden, and I have a few growing in my strawberry bed and the bed with onions and Stevia. This year I have to clip them back before the go to seed and drop.
I helped mow the yard last week. That's a first for me since 2009. When I became sick, I could barely move, let alone mow the yard. I enjoy mowing the yard. I truly love being outside.
I have found that I can swim longer. Last year I had so much pain if I swam more than a few minutes. I don't know if it was the cold water or the exercise from swimming that caused the pain. This summer, so far, I have had no pain in my arms when I swim. A few nights this week, I did have some pain in one hip, in the middle of the night. That had to be from too many laps so soon. I am also sleeping better. That is related to my migraine meds. This I know for sure. I haven't had any sun rashes either. For years we thought it was sun poison. It wasn't. It was the UCTD starting to poke its ugly head. It is so nice to get a little sun without worrying about getting a rash. Those rashes lasted all summer and itched like crazy. I'm also enjoying the Harley rides we take. We spend a lot of time in the sun and I have had very few issues with this. My next big test will be our trip back to Charleston (I was married there) and Savannah. Lots of walking with that. I am looking forward to that vacation~

No comments:

Post a Comment