Sunday, April 1, 2012

UCTD the end of year 2 (diagnosed)

In just a few short days, it will be two years since I started the journey down the path of a "correct" diagnosis. So much has changed in two years. Two years ago I could barely move off of the sofa. I tried to sleep as much as I could so I couldn't feel the pain. That was anywhere from 18-22 hours a day. It wasn't good sleep. It was all I could do to get up and work on the days I needed to work. After work, I would come home and sleep until I could find a way to get upstairs for a shower. Sometimes I would cook dinner, sometimes I would have to pull a pre-cooked meal out of my freezer. On days that I felt I could stand for an hour or so, I would power cook. I would marinate 2 or more family packs of chicken at a time, in different marinades and grill all of it. Slice it. Freeze it all for another time. I would also cook 10lbs or more of ground beef and freeze it. I always have diced bell peppers, onions, squash and other veggies in my freezers.
I think the most annoying pain for me has been the pain that sets up in my fingers that radiates to my elbows. On most days, its an aggravating "cramp" or "burning" sensation. Other days, it feels as if someone is breaking my fingers and arms, over and over and over. I try and stay away from ibuprofen at any cost, but these are the days I need it. The pain in the toes and ankles is on rare occasions. Thank goodness. I can't walk on those days.
The most severe pain for me would be the migraine. I get these for 3 day stretches. Usually I'm heading into a flare-up OR lately, it has been a stress issue, when these migraines attack me. I'm on 2 daily migraine medicines to try and prevent them, but they are still sneaking in. The last one was a doozy. I was down! And out! The next step, according to my neurologist, is an epi-pen like product. I don't care~whatever helps.
Today is starting off pretty good. I have a little "burning" or "cramping"  in my arms. I did a lot yesterday. I dusted my dining room, put out all the Easter decorations, vacuumed the living room, cleaned the kitchen, helped with 2 loads of laundry, worked in my garden and cooked out on the grill. Anyone that knows me at all and knew me when I wasn't sick, knows that this is a mild day for me~as for me~this is as busy as it gets. By the time I got my shower for the night, I could no longer lift my arms. Or walk. I was asleep by 8 PM. I can say that I am sleeping, several nights a week, from 8-5. That is so much better than 2-5. I can only hope and pray it lasts. This amazing weather has a lot do with it. And having a lot of unfinished projects getting completed (by contractors) has eliminated some stress too. Now, we're down to just one guy to worry with. The guy fixing my sons car. He told us it would take 2-3 weeks, 9 weeks ago. I have heard more excuses than I care to ever hear again. I will never, ever, recommend this guy! I don't care how good of a job he does.
Now, on to a beautiful day~I hope it is nice enough to get the Harley out for a ride near the mountain. A little too chilly for this chic to go in the mountain, yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment