Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Perfect Biscuit

I have been looking for the perfect biscuit recipe and I think I've found it. They are melt in your mouth good. I use my bread machine to knead the dough. Why not since there is a setting for dough on it and it does all the work for you. You can however, knead it by hand if you want to.




Put ingredients in machine as listed.



1 cup plus 1 Tbsp warm water (activates yeast)

3 Tbsp + 2 1/2 tsp sugar

1 envelope active dry yeast

1 Tbsp + 1 tsp milk

1 egg

1 tsp salt

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour ***see note below***

1 Tbsp and 1 tsp shortening

butter/margarine (baste tops of biscuits when finished baking)



Place all ingredients except butter in machine and put on dough setting and let machine do the rest. Once dough is mixed, remove dough from machine and put on a lightly flour surface. Just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your fingers. Pinch off a nice sized piece of dough and roll into a ball. Place on a greased/sprayed pan. I would put 3 to a row as they will rise again before baking. At this point let dough rise again. Usually about an hour or so. These will be big, so do not double the recipe. It won't all fit in the bread machine. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden. Baste with butter when finished.

***note*** I mix my flour and have 2 cups white flour and 1 1/2 cups wheat flour. You can use all wheat flour and they taste just as good. Just healthier.

Enjoy!!

Labels: Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment