Friday, September 21, 2012

Storing Avocados

Welcome to Friday folks~~

Friday's I leave for work later than the rest of the week, so I thought I'd share with you my process for storing avocados. I found a great deal on them at Aldi's this week. 49 cents a piece. I bought 3, but now I wish I had bought more.

I waited until the avocados were ripe. The avocado should be a dark, almost black skinned. Squeeze the avocado too. It should be a little soft. Not too soft, or it is over-ripe.




Slice the avocado in half. There will be a large pit (or seed) in the center and it should be a pretty shade of green/yellow.

To pop out the pit, gently squeeze the avocado. It pops right out if it is ripe. Next, take a spoon and scoop out the pulp. It should come right off of the skin.



I use my Bella Cucina to puree my avocado. To keep it from browning, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to every avocado you use. I needed to add about 1 tbsp of water because it was too thick. By pureeing with lemon juice, you will incorporate enough acid to keep it from turning brown. Last time I just squeezed lemon juice on the avocado and it turned brown. FAILED! So far, no browning issues.

This is how it should look. Store in a freezer container until ready to use. 1/2 cup of puree is equal to 1 avocado. I'm not sure how long this will last in the freezer because I use it within 3 months. All the time. I love making homemade quacamole.




Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment