Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Freezing and storing squash

I only have 3 more squash to prepare for freezing, until fall. I'm planning on planting more at the end of August. So far I've baked it, diced it and julienned the squash to freeze. I will be thankful for all the squash this winter when I'm ready for some garden food.
These squash have been cut in half, scooped out all the pulp, drizzled with olive oil and bake at 275 until soft in the thickest part of the squash. Once cooled, you can scoop out the meat and put in storage containers and freeze for a later date. I use it as a mashed dish covered with spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese.


This next method doesn't take as long to process. Peel your squash, cut in half and remove pulp. Julienne the pieces. For these, I freeze on a cookie sheet, then transfer to my food saver bags and freeze. Julienned squash will make wonderful fries later. Remove from bag, place on cookie sheet and sprinkle with olive oil and seasoned salt. Bake until they are how you like them.
As you can see on the left side of my pan, I'm freezing blackberries for jam making later. They are coming in fast and furious right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment