Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Garden 2010

After much thought and planning over the winter, I finally have my veggie garden in and I must say it looks real good. Now to patiently wait for the fresh veggies to grow, ripen and pick. There's is nothing like home-grown tomatoes! Cucumbers haven't popped up yet and I'm wondering if I have duds. If they're not up by tomorrow, I will re-plant some seeds.
Kevin and I had to make a trip to Lowe's yesterday (poor me) for a compost bin and noticed just how expensive veggies are that are already to plant. I also noticed that there are genetically altered seeds. From what I gather, these plants will not have seeds that you can save and plant the next year. On top of that, there is a company that is selling "survival kits" for gardeners. These are seeds that can be harvested after planting to use the next year. What a shame that someone has to do this. I don't understand the thought process of altering seeds so you can't harvest for the next year. This is scary. What happens when there are so many seeds altered that people can't grow their own gardens? And last, what if we as a country, need to start "farming" our land again and there are no seeds???
I have baby food jars that I use to keep seeds after the harvest. I will not be paying for the "survival kit" when I can have my own.
Enjoy the garden photos. I will post new photos as the garden grows.
strawberries

  
onions, bell peppers, cabbage, cilantro, radish, lettuce, jalepenos and parsley
kiwi

green beans and peas

tomatoes and cucumbers

No comments:

Post a Comment