Saturday, October 27, 2012

A week gone wrong...

What a week! One I hope doesn't happen too often. It started out well enough, but by yesterday, I was mentally worn out.

With my UCTD condition, I take Plaquenil every day to keep my antibodies in check. I like to call my prescriptions in when I'm down to a weeks supply. Doing just that last weekend, I waited patiently for the call from my pharmacy saying it was ready to pick up. That phone call never came. I was out of refills. The pharmacy faxed my doctor and never got answered with a new prescription. By Wednesday when I hadn't heard from them, I called. The pharmacy still didn't have my doctor's approval, so I called the office myself, only to find out that my doctor was on vacation until the following week. The on-duty nurse told me to have the pharmacist give her a call and she would approve my prescription. As they say, long story longer...the pharmacist did this 4 times and was given the run-around. The on-duty nurse couldn't approve my meds that I would have to wait until Monday. So in my panic, I called her back and was able to get just enough meds to get me to Monday. I don't take narcotics, so this shouldn't be a problem with maintenance prescriptions.

Let me tell you what it feels like to miss just one day. First, within 12 hours of missing the meds, I get sharp pains through my shoulder blades. This feels like a knife cutting through my back. I have a hard time getting any relief. The antibodies are already attacking the nerves. By the end of the day, both my toes and my fingers feel as if they are being broken. It is hard to walk with that feeling. Imagine now, waiting 5 days for a refill. I went into a panic, setting off the shoulder pain.

It has taken me two years to get to the place I'm in now. I rarely have pain. I'm running again. Working full-time and getting so much done around here. I am enjoying my life again.

There has to be a better procedure for things like this when the doctor is on vacation. I have an appointment at the end of the month with him, and I plan on having this very discussion.

As they say, onto the next....

No comments:

Post a Comment